The Foundation believes in equipping students with the knowledge, skills, values, beliefs and discipline needed to achieve their educational goals. With these tools and opportunities, personal success can be achieved. Scholarships provided by the Foundation can range from $500 to $4,000. All scholarships can be reapplied for annually for the duration of the student’s degree program. Scholarship applicants must meet the following requirements in order to apply:
- Be of African-American descent
- Be accepted and enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university for the school year that follows the application submission period
- Have a GPA of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale (3.7 or higher on a 5.0 scale)
- Be engage in or was engaged in extra-curricular activities and/or community service
- Be a U.S. citizen
Who Can Apply
- High School Graduates
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
How to Apply
- Complete the candidate information forms below.
- Download the Recommendation Form (click here to download) for completion by a nonrelative (e.g., professor, counselor, clergy, employer).
- Upload (see below) your current school year’s transcript.
- Upload (see below) your completed Recommendation Form. (Alternatively, your recommender can email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org before the submission period expires)
- Click Submit and wait about 8 seconds for the submission confirmation message to be displayed.
- Email a 3 to 5-minute video that addresses the appropriate Video Submission Questions (new or returning applicant) to email@example.com. Note that your video (e.g., mp4 format, mov format) must be 24MB or less and viewable via computer or mobile device. Alternatively, you may also email a link and any necessary password to access your video. Please be sure to verify that your finished video is viewable on someone else’s computer or mobile device. After 48 hours of your submission, also be sure to check your junk folder or followup (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you do not recieve email confirmation that your video was received.
Note: Your application will be considered as incomplete if all of the required files are not submitted according to the ‘How To Apply’ instructions.
Video Submission Questions
New Applicant Questions
- From an introductory standpoint, what can you say about yourself and your family in 30 to 60 seconds?
- What 4 words would you use to describe yourself and why?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of and why?
- If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be and why?
- Why do you feel you should be considered for a scholarship?
- What are your career goals and how do you plan to make a difference in your community?
Returning Applicant Questions
- What motivates you?
- How has being a recipient of a Smiling Eyes scholarship assisted you in reaching your educational goals?
- What do you think makes you successful in college?
- What is a meaningful college/class experience you have had?
2022 Submission Period
- Application Submission Period: May 16th through July 15th
- Award Notification Date: By August 12th
Scholarship award and award amount decisions are made by the Smiling Eyes Foundation Board following the review of all applications submitted within the submission period each year. All applications will be reviewed for the following:
- Completeness (submission information, transcript, recommendation form, and video of responses to questions)
- Compliance with the application and application submission requirements
- Demonstration of academic achievement
- Uniqueness and creativity from a presentation and/or delivery standpoint
- Responses to the Video Submission Questions
‘*’ indicates required fields.